F Gas Registration Deadline Looming

by HVAC Insider on June 17, 2009

Refrigeration and air conditioning firms are required by law to register themselves under the F-Gas regulations. However, they are expected to receive a “short-term” amnesty past the 4th July 2009 deadline.

If you have not registered yet, it’s not too late.

The information below is courtesy of the Institute of Refrigeration

Company certification is a legal requirement under Sections 23 and 24 of the Fluorinated Greenhouse Gases (FGG) Regulations 2009. To comply with the regulations, businesses that install, maintain or service stationary refrigeration, air-conditioning and/or heat pump equipment containing F gases must obtain an interim certificate by July 4 this year.

Key to the new regime are the new personnel refrigerant handling qualifications City & Guilds 2079 and CITB J11-J14 which have been developed specifically to meet the requirements of the F Gas regulations.

To obtain an interim company certificate,  businesses must employ engineers holding either:

  • City & Guilds 2078 or CITB J01,
  • or the new City & Guilds 2079 or CITB J11-J14,

Interim certificates are valid until July 2011 to allow time for engineers to gain the new qualifications.

After July 2011 all businesses must hold a full company certificate.  To obtain a full company certificate, businesses must employ engineers that have the new City & Guilds 2079 or CITB J11-J14 qualifications. In addition, businesses must also prove that they have in place appropriate recovery systems and refrigerant handling procedures.

Businesses who haven’t yet contacted REFCOM should visit our new website at www.refcom.org.uk

Interim certification for the period to July 2011 will cost:

  • £70 for sole traders;
  • £90 for businesses with two to nine refrigeration engineers;
  • £150 for businesses with 10 to 49 engineers;
  • and £350 for businesses employing 50 or more engineers.

The three-yearly, full certification fee for the above categories will be £140, £180, £365 and £800.  If engineers only work on equipment containing less than 3 kg of F gas an inhouse qualification or “interim personnel certificate” based on previous experience is needed.

Compliance is required by law and customers and refrigerant and equipment suppliers will expect businesses to be certificated.

For more information about obligations of Company and Individual Certification under the regulations contact F Gas Support at www.defra.gov.uk/fgas

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: